How Does Powered Electro Osmosis Work?
Rising damp is drawn up the capillaries and generates a negative charge of the capillary walls aiding capillary attraction. The Lectros Powered Electro Osmotic system introduces a very small and perfectly safe electric current into the wall just above ground level through a series of the Lectos titanium anodes inserted into the brickwork. Its effect is to repel the rising moisture molecules down the walls and harmlessly back into the ground. As long as this tiny positive charge is maintained through the Lectros Power Unit, the protected walls remain dry and totally free of damp.
Before and After the Installation
History and principles of Electro Osmosis.
- The affect osmosis has on water (e.g. in living cells) was discovered in the 18th century
- In the 19th century it was discovered that water could be moved by an applied electrical field.
- In the 20th century the passive EO system was developed, followed by the active.
- Rising damp is caused by, or contributed to by, a negative charge in the wall and a positive charge in the ground.
- As water is attracted to the negative charge, moisture migrates into the wall from the ground.
- The EO system reverses the charge at the wall ground area reversing the direction of the water migration.
Unique user and selling points of the Lectros Powered Osmotic Electro Osmosis
- Completely chemical free process.
- Process is reversible and can be removed from the property if deemed necessary in the building life.
- More economical to install on large section walls, or where drilling is hard.
- Quick to install with a competent installer.
- Low power consumption.
- Durable system that if left will last in excess of the 20 year warranty.
- Less bulk and equipment required in the van and at the stores.
- Works on virtually all substrates.
- Fast start characteristicâ€™s speed the drying out process.
Requirements of the Lectros Powered Osmotic System installation
- Requires a circuit of no less than 10 anodes.
- The earth rod (cathode) must be positioned no less that 6 ft (1.9 meters) away from the nearest anode
Factors which are operator reliant for good operation
- That the anodes are spaced and position in the wall correctly
- That the grouting is done sufficiently to provide good electrical contact.
- That a good earth is made and is positioned correctly.
Comparisons to chemical DPCâ€™s
- Less drilling as the anodes are spaced every 0.8 meters.
- Only drilling to 1/3 of the depth of the wall.
- No waiting for chemicals to flow and permeate into the wall.
- Less bulky equipment.
- Rapid drying and effectiveness of the DPC on powering up.
- Less intrusive to the building.
- A reversible process so can be removed.
- Can be insurance backed guaranteed for 20 years.
Who should be using the Lectros Powered Electro Osmosis System?
- The only limitation is small runs as the system needs at least 10 anodes or walls or less than 4.5 inches as the anodes need to be installed into the wall at sufficent depth.
Professional Remedial Services have been installing the system for over 30 years in many different types of construction. The Lectros Osmotic Damp Proofing System is manufactured in Lancashire and exportedÂ to countries across the globe.